Having healthy-looking skin can help you maintain a youthful appearance, but there’s a host of aesthetic concerns that you may face as you age. For some people, it’s sun damage and brown spots. For others, it’s a red or flushed appearance or broken capillaries.
Whether you notice these signs of aging on your face, your arms, your legs, or another area of your body, restoring even-toned skin can make a dramatic difference. BBL ™ treatment can offer this change. The treatment can provide benefits similar to those of laser resurfacing and chemical peel—with less discomfort and a shorter recovery.*
Benefitting from BBL/IPL
BroadBand Light treatment delivers high-intensity pulses of light that target specific skin conditions. It can be particularly effective against damage you may have experienced from a lifetime of ultraviolet light exposure
BBL/IPL uses an intense beam of broad-spectrum light that targets the lower layer of skin. This light removes damaged cells and stimulates collagen growth, helping improve the color, consistency, and texture of skin.*
Ovation Med Spa offers this leading technology from Sciton® for treating many different skin conditions, including:
- Pigmented lesions like freckles and age spots
- Vascular lesions (cherry angiomas, telangiectasias, rosacea, and others)
- Deeper lesions and darker types of skin
While BBL is not FDA-cleared for changing gene expression or anti-aging, a 2012 Stanford University study found that BBL/IPL treatment can “restore the gene expression pattern of photoaged and intrinsically aged human skin to resemble young skin.”
Because of the way BBL works, Ovation Med Spa doesn’t recommend it for clients with darker skin. However, we can offer alternative treatments to help these clients with pigmentation issues.
Clients visit Ovation Med Spa for a preliminary consultation, which we schedule for an entire hour. This extended length is unusual for the aesthetic field, but we feel it’s important to give you time to ask questions, learn about your options, and have confidence in our care. During your appointment, your treatment provider will:
- Talk with you about what you want to accomplish.
- Conduct a skin assessment to evaluate your needs.
- Make recommendations and show you examples using a dermascope, which allows you to see skin conditions magnified several hundred times.
This approach lets us narrow down treatment options. If you are a good candidate for IPL, we can discuss how BBL/IPL works and the technology behind the procedure as well as any post-treatment instructions.
What You Can Expect with BBL/IPL
Most of our clients tolerate a photofacial very well and see any minor discomfort they experience as an excellent trade-off for the benefits they get:
- Treatments typically last no more than 20-30 minutes for the face; other areas of the body may take longer.
- Treatment providers use a handheld medical device to target concerns precisely and effectively.
- Clients usually report little or no pain during the procedure and describe the sensation like having a rubber band snapped lightly against their skin.
Generally, we recommend that you have five-to-six treatments every three-to-four weeks. Clients typically have treatments up to four times each year afterwards to maintain their results.
After Treatment with BBL/IPL
Our clients typically go back to work or home after IPL and jump right into their normal routine. However, we recommend that you protect the treated area from the sun for at least a couple of weeks.
Side effects from a photofacial are very mild. You may notice that your skin is flushed, that tiny capillaries seem more prominent, or that brown spots appear darker. These changes usually fade within a few hours, though some clients need a few weeks to heal completely.
Beginning with your first treatment:
- Your skin should take on a more even tone and smoother feel.
- Sunspots should fade, and skin redness and dilated capillaries should decrease gradually.
Because a photofacial has almost no downtime and offers significant restorative benefits, it ranks highly among our treatments in terms of client satisfaction.
Interested in restoring your skin to a healthy, youthful appearance? Find out more about BBL/IPL. Clients can schedule an appointment by calling (713) 936-2490 or contacting us online.
*Individual results and experience may vary.